Council Approves Gay Discrimination Ordinance

Dave

KingDick
Staff member
The Omaha City Council approved a controversial city ordinance Tuesday that will make it against the law to discriminate in the workplace based on sexual orientation or gender identity.

The vote was four to three in favor of the proposal. The council members who voted for the ordinance were Gray, Jerram, Festersen, and Gernandt. Thompson, Mulligan, and Stothert voted no.
Councilman Franklin Thompson, who many believed was the swing vote, said he would have voted in favor of the ordinance had the council been willing to remove the gender identification classification.
Before the city council meeting, supporters of the ordinance gathered in front of the city/council building uncertain of the outcome.

Jennifer Parent: "I don't know that I'm confident, but I'm hopeful."

After the vote, many supporters gathered just outside legislative chambers in celebration.
Diane Perry: "I'm glad to see the vote was fair, informed decision. We're all human beings. I'm so pleased with the decision."

Mike Honeyman: "The reality is, these aren't new rights or special rights, we're just allowing all people access to the same rights."

Pastor Daniel Holloran was disappointed. "It's not a love or hate issue, but it's right or wrong, and I can tell you god is very grieved."

In 15-days when the citywide ordinance takes effect -- if you are gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender -- you cannot be fired or not hired for that reason alone.

Under the ordinance, GLBT would be added to other protected classes so if you are discriminated against, you can file a complaint with the city.

more...
http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/City_Council_Approves_Gay_Discrimination_Ordinance_142529715.html

Top Bottom