Political And News Websites, 10 years ago

Thender

TnTU Guru
Just did an opening (Presenting the Colors) of the "Tribute to Fallen Soldiers" (from Iowa & Nebraska) This morning at the High School....

It is a traveling display of pictures of Military Personal (One Military picture and one civilian picture of each individual) that were killed in action, in the two wars, in the last ten years....

This is the second time it has been displayed in Shenandoah, the first was two years ago at our museum.... It's longer now....

[This picture is from the Iowa State Capital Rotunda]

The man in the first pic is the one responsible for setting it up, along with his wife.... The display, here, is about 20 feet long.... Next month he debuts a new display for Texas.... It is going to be 80 feet long!

If I remember right, from this mornings ceremonies, He has traveling displays in over 30 states.... (Don't quote me on that)....

I'll go to the school tomorrow and get some pics of our display....

It hit me kinda hard this morning while looking at the display.... I have been to 5 funerals for Vets KIA in the last ten years, all from this locale.... I have found a couple pics on the Internet that I would like to share....

James Kearney III, The first soldier KIA from 168th Infantry, Shenandoah....

Brent Maher, KIA, from 168th Infantry, Shenandoah....

PFC Brandon Buttry, United States Army Infantry, Shenandoah, Iowa.... (Our latest KIA)...

Sgt. James Skalberg, United States Army, Emerson, Iowa....

Cpl. Jarrod L. Maher, USMC.... KIA Iraq.... Imogene, Iowa....

I felt bad about this one.... His Mom and I were on a school bus chaperoning our young kids to the Henry Doorly Zoo.... She mentioned that her newly graduated son was going into the Marines and she had reservations about his safety.... I told her not to worry... He'll meet new people. He'll see new places, new lands. He'll have the time of his life..... I've kept my mouth shut since then....

Brandon Buttry and Jarrod Maher were killed by "Friendly Fire" (Not suicide).... Sickening.....

Top Bottom