Nebraska Whoops, I Fished Here Last Week...

Dave

KingDick
Staff member
I didn't know the lake was closed to fishing...

Invaders muscled out at Zorinsky

Zebra mussels have been described as "aquatic cockroaches." Click here to learn more about them and their impact at Zorinsky Lake.​
***​
A small army of scientists and government workers may have accomplished the near impossible at Zorinsky Lake: eradicating the invasive and dreaded zebra mussel.​
Only one U.S. lake, a small Virginia quarry, is known to have eradicated an infestation, said Don Schloesser, an expert with the U.S. Geological Survey's Great Lakes Science Center in Michigan.​
If the Zorinsky lake-draining effort proves successful, it would be “quite newsy,” Schloesser said.​
But you won't see officials popping Champagne corks, even as Zorinsky reopens Saturday to boating and fishing. No one dares declare victory, given that the mussel is one of the most aggressive species to invade the U.S.​
“I'm not comfortable saying we eradicated it, but we really, really did take a good chunk out of it,” said John Hargrave, a biologist with the Army Corps of Engineers, which owns the lake.​
He should know — Hargrave's corps report on the mussel was published this week. He and others base their cautious optimism on what they found at Zorinsky.​
After lowering the lake 17 feet in December 2010, scientists did detailed inspections at eight sites around the lake. They found 907 mussels, all in the top 10 feet of the exposed lake bed. (In the Great Lakes, 900 mussels can be found in six square inches, Schloesser noted.)​

The hope is that when the lake was the lowered, the remaining mussels froze to death or dried out.​

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120426/NEWS01/704269877#invaders-muscled-out-at-zorinsky

Top Bottom